Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll
Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll <br> Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Saturday 9 August 2008

Pirates and Guitars

It must seem like I'm constantly on the internet, but I can't resist tapping out a quick update when there's a free computer in the hostel!

Yesterday we commandeered (hired) a pirate ship (small boat) and sailed the seven seas (across the harbour) to a desert island (that bit's true). Using our high-tec diving gear (snorkels) we swam with sharks and killer whales (pipe fish and parrot fish), and sat plotting to take over the world (fell asleep and got sunburnt, damnit!) To summarise, it was a very nice day on a sandy beach with warm sea to swim in! There was also a very satisfying moment whereby we used our skillz to hand-craft a volleyball net from driftwood and grass to 'out-game' the group of 'World Challenge' teens, who'd been forced into a ridiculously organised beach olympics for the whole afternoon. We'd bought a beachball in town, and with the emergency whistle for added referee effect, we definitely had the edge!

We met up with the others from Cardiff in the evening and headed to a bar called 'Yesteryears' where an open-mic night happened to be taking place. After much peer pressure, and I mean a serious amount over a period of about two hours, I finally cracked and did a quick 'Big Yellow Taxi' to shut them up. Unfortunately I didn't really suceed in that attempt and a couple of beers later saw a new-found partnership between the dreadlocked singing genius and some merry Brits working their way through the Beatles back-catalogue and many more besides. Need to learn how to say 'no' to these things.

In other news, I am utterly convinced that a ghost is occupying the room opposite ours. All day and all night since we arrived at the 'Stay-In Lodge', there's been a woman in white floating around the corridors. Now I know that some of you had wagers on how long it would take for me to lose my last marbles this year, but I assure you that there is a ghost-lady in our hostel. She's constantly dressed from head to toe in a brilliant white dress witha veil-like headscarf. She's never been seen outside of the hostel, and I imagine that her pasty white features would fry in an instant if she tried. She never utters a word, in any language, so none of us can tell where she might be from. She glides over the floor as if her feet had been replaced by wheels, or my preferred explanation, as if she were hovering above the ground. I can't fathom for the life of me what she could be up to all day, floating about in a trance with a fixed, vacant gaze somewhat reminiscent of something I've seen in a horror film at some point, and so we conclude that she is infact a ghost. If anyone can prove otherwise, that'd be great as it's really rather creepy!

No comments: