Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll
Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll <br> Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Tuesday 14 June 2016

Hiking in Dorset: Preparing for an Adventure

Hiking in Dorset: Preparing for an Adventure

I've been planning for an adventure. In my head it works out perfectly. It's been simmering away at the back of my mind for nearly seven years now and it keeps creeping forward in my thoughts. It started with little wanders in the English countryside, more specifically along the coast paths. I've decided I want to be one of those crazy people who attempt the entire coast line of South West England in one go. I want to walk the South West Coast Path.

I have an idyllic picture in my mind of what my adventure will be like. Exploring tiny Cornish fishing villages, camping up on clifftops overlooking the ocean, having deep and meaningful conversations with the locals. In reality I have enough hiking experience to know that it will definitely rain for most of the trip, I will get blisters half a mile from the start point and I'll be fed up of carrying my makeshift home like an exhausted tortoise by lunchtime. On finishing my final Gold Duke of Edinburgh Expedition several years ago, I distinctly remember trudging down a sodden hillside towards Brecon. My knees had aged by 60 years, I couldn't stand the whinging of my team mates any longer and would happily have murdered any of them if someone had offered me cider and a dry jumper in return. That was after four days of hiking. If I do the South West Coast Path, I think I could do it in 45 days, if luck is on my side along the whole route.

I've mentioned this wanderlust to my boyfriend at every opportunity. To start with he was up for coming along, but that was when it wasn't likely. Over the years, my yearning to complete the task has increased, as has his concern that I might actually be mad enough to try it.
"Do you remember when you wanted to climb that mountain in Scotland?"
Yes, I remembered it well. It is worth mentioning that he is totally at home in the mountains. He actually enjoys the 'going up' bit, whereas I'm all for looking up at the pointy stuff, and down at the views, but can happily leave out the strenuous slog in the middle. I had been very excited about walking up a mountain with him.
"You hated it."
That's a bit strong. It wasn't my most enjoyable experience but it had its merits as everything does.
"After ten minutes you were too hot and grumpy and wanted to go back to the car." I had to interject here. The only reason I was so hot was because I couldn't take my waterproofs off. The midges were trying to kill me. I challenge anyone not to get grumpy when a tiny bunch of assassins are out to suck the very life from you as you earnestly attempt to walk up a hill.

I could see his point though, sometimes I do bite off more than I can chew.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Just stumbled on your blog which I didn't know you still kept. I think I last read it when you were in Borneo! Walking the south west coast path is one of my ambitions too! I walked swanage to Weymouth with an ex boyfriend once, but I'd absolutely love to do the whole thing. I don't know if I'll ever find 45 days to do it all in one go though so I might have to do it in parts aiming to complete the whole thing at some unmarked future date! I hope you do manage to do the whole thing all in one go. It would be amazing. Diana xx