Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll
Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Words, Wildlife, Rock & Roll <br> Borneo, Wales, Infinity and Beyond...

Sunday 2 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you!

I had quite a good 2010, even in primatical terms, with finding an animal care job being quite a positive landmark in the year. The highlight for me though was the Hope 4 Apes event held at the Lyceum Theatre, London, in December.

The evening was hosted by Sir David Attenborough, with talks given by ape enthusiasts such as Dr. Jane Goodall DBE (chimpanzees), Ian Redmond OBE (gorillas), Dr Jo Thompson (bonobos), Dr Birute Galdikas (orang-utans) and Chanee (gibbons). The nicest thing was the hopeful theme that connected the talks, which must have stirred the faintest slither of optimism in even the most skeptical, pragmatic, grumpy old conservationist. If you missed it, don't despair, for there is a DVD of the event in production which I will of course bring to your attention as soon as I hear about it!

If that line-up didn't nearly finish me off with excitement, the day before was the icing on the cake as I stumbled across a Jane Goodall book signing in Regent Street at the National Geographic Store. Having discovered it online quite by accident the day before, I dragged my long-suffering friend along and we were treated to a fascinating in-store talk before managing to get the new book signed, as well as an ageing copy of In the Shadow of Man.

It's unlikely then that 2011 can get much better but I'll keep my fingers crossed, and I hope that the coming year will bring you all the opportunities you want, or even just the will-power to seek them out! Good luck.

No comments: